The anti-doping organization (ADO) that initiated sample collection is responsible for Results Management.
The ADO collects urine and/or blood for analysis in the WADA-accredited laboratory. The sample is divided into two (A and B) bottles. The WADA-accredited laboratory that analyses the A sample will report the result to the ADO responsible for Results Management and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
A Negative Result – No presence of prohibited substances or methods.
An Atypical Finding (ATF) – A report from a WADA-accredited laboratory which requires further investigation as provided by the International Standard for Laboratories or related Technical Documents prior to the determination of an Adverse Analytical Finding.
An Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) – A report from a WADA-accredited laboratory or other WADA-approved laboratory that, consistent with the International Standard for Laboratories, establishes in a Sample the presence of a Prohibited Substance or its Metabolites or Markers or evidence of the Use of a Prohibited Method.
Sanctions for violating anti-doping regulations may range from a reprimand to a lifetime ban. The period of ineligibility may vary depending on the type of anti-doping violation, the circumstances of an individual case, the substance, and the possible repetition of an anti-doping rule violation.
For in-competition testing, this will also automatically include disqualification of results obtained in that competition, and forfeiture of any medals, points, and/or prizes. All results of any competitions following the collection of the sample may also be disqualified.
Athletes have the right to appeal any decisions made by the independent disciplinary panel or an alternative hearing body. Depending on the status the athlete can appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) or an applicable Appeals body.
Anti-Doping Rule Violations:
- Presence of a Prohibited Substance or its Metabolites or Markers in an Athlete’s Sample
- Use or Attempted Use by an Athlete of a Prohibited Substance or a Prohibited Method
- Evading, Refusing or Failing to Submit to Sample Collection by an Athlete
- Whereabouts Failures by an Athlete
- Tampering or Attempted Tampering with any Part of Doping Control by an Athlete or Other Person
- Possession of a Prohibited Substance or a Prohibited Method by an Athlete or Athlete Support Person
- Trafficking or Attempted Trafficking in any Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method by an Athlete or Other Person
- Administration or Attempted Administration by an Athlete or Other Person to any Athlete In-Competition of any Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method, or Administration or Attempted Administration to any Athlete Out-of-Competition of any Prohibited Substance or any Prohibited Method that is Prohibited Out-of-Competition
- Complicity or Attempted Complicity by an Athlete or Other Person
- Prohibited Association by an Athlete or Other Person
- Acts by an Athlete or Other Person to Discourage or Retaliate Against Reporting to Authorities